Odfjell Terminals (Charleston) (OTC) is 100% owned by Odfjell SE*. The site is a brown field area, strategically located at the banks of the Cooper River in the Port of Charleston, South Carolina, USA. OTC will be a premier distribution terminal to the bulk liquid chemical, vegetable oil and petroleum industry in the south-eastern United States. OTC will be a sophisticated tank terminal with floating roof and pressurized tanks with marine, rail tank car and road tank truck accessibility, automatic nitrogen compensation systems, as well as an advanced vapor return system.
The terminal has plans for up to 45 tanks with a total capacity of about 150 000 cbm (~1 000 000 bbls). Tank sizes, based on customer specific requirements, will vary from 600 cbm to 15 900 cbm (4 000 to 100 000 bbls). Odfjell expects the terminal to be operational end of 2013.
The terminal will be easily accessible for sea-going tankers, barges, rail tank cars, road tank trucks, iso-tanks and pipelines. OTC has one deep draft ship dock on the Cooper River. Since the American distribution network is heavily dependent on rail and road infrastructure, OTC will be well equipped with broad rail tank car and road tank truck handling facilities:
- Linked to North America’s CSX and Norfolk Southern railroad networks and the United States’ Interstate Highway system for distribution throughout the United States, Canada and Mexico
- Multiple stainless steel rail header systems enabling the loading and unloading of railcars to / from the shore tanks
- Direct transfer from rail cars to ships or barges, at rates up to 500 cbm (3 500 bbls) per hour
- Automated scale system controls truck loading process through computerized control features
- Load-on-scale truck stations enabling the loading and unloading of tank trucks and iso-tanks to/from the shore tanks
- Transloading capabilities to/from trucks, iso.tanks and/or railcars
In line with Odfjell’s industry leading corporate QHSE standards, OTC is working to obtain ISO and Responsible Care® certifications. As with Odfjell’s other terminals, OTC will proactively seek to earn the trust of the surrounding community, regulatory entities and its customers.
The construction of OTC is managed through Odfjell Terminals Houston (OTH), having experience in the tank storage business for almost 30 years. OTH is also responsible for the commercial and operational management of OTC.
*Odfjell Terminals is owned by Odfjell SE (51%) and Lindsay Goldberg (49%).