THIS IS OUR ODFJELL
As part of our 100 years celebration we have created a video and a leaflet that outlines Odfjell and its history throughout the past 100 years, the amazing journey of how a Norwegian family business that started with just one vessel has today become one of the world-leading logistics service providers for chemicals, other specialty bulk liquids and LPG/Ethylene.
Click on the images to view OUR STORY and the leaflet of OUR HISTORY in a pdf version.
THIS IS OUR STORY - VIDEO
THIS IS OUR HISTORY LEAFLET
- 1890: Captain Berendt Daniel Olsen moves to Bergen with his family to become part of modern shipping: steam and steel.
- 1914: 17 November: First Odfjell ship owning company is formally registered, AS DS Birk.
- 1915: The Odfjell brothers, Ferdrik and Abraham Odfjell, incorporate AS Rederiet Odfjell.
- 1921: Odfjell makes a brief entry into the tanker trade with the SS Vaarli, rebuilt as a tanker.
- 1938: Odfjell makes a small re-entry into the tanker trade with the newbuilding MT Lind.
- 1940: WW 2: Odfjell fleet is split; three ships in home waters and four on high seas. Home fleet suffers devastating losses.
- 1946: Bow is used for the first time as the name prefix on an Odfjell vessel.
- 1950s: Most Odfjell ships are dry cargo liner vessels, but small specialised tankers become increasingly important.
- 1960: Odfjell takes delivery of the world’s first stainless tanker, MT Lind
- 1963: Dan Odfjell establishes Minde Chartering, Odfjell's own marketing organisation.
- 1969: Opening of the first Odfjell tank terminal, the TAGSA in Buenos Aires.
- 1973: The business is split into two parts: AS Rederiet Odfjell for shipping, and Odfjell Drilling for offshore oil exploration.
- 1973: Opening of the new Odfjell headquarters at Minde, Bergen
- 1975: Delivery of the first 12 Polish built chemical tankers.
- 1979: The Company is split into two independent parts, one for each branch of the family.
- 1980: Cooperation with Westfal-Larsen is strengthened through the establishment of OWL Tankers.
- 1983: Opening of the Baytank in Houston.
- 1986: Storli is listed on Oslo Stock Exchange.
- Late 1980s: Filipino crew starts beeing employed on our ships.
- 1990: NCC of Saudi -Arabia replaces Westfal-Larsen as our main chemical tanker partner.
- 1992: Acquisition of minority share in the Vopak Terminal Ningbo.
- 1994: Delivery of first of 16 new state of the art stainless chemical tankers, the Kvaerner series.
- 1994: Establishment of Odfjell Terminals (Dalian).
- 1998: Company name is changed from Storli to Odfjell. New graphical layout and new logo.
- 1999: The second Poland class: delivery of four 6,000 dwt fully stainless chemical tankers.
- 1999: Venture into the iso-container business.
- 2000: Odfjell Tankers merge with Seachem, thus creating the premier deep-sea chemical tanker operator in terms of tonnage.
- 2000: The Botlek terminal in Rotterdam is acquired, renamed Odfjell Terminals (Rotterdam).
- 2001: Odfjell Terminals becomes partner in Oiltanking Odfjell Terminals (Singapore).
- 2002: Odfjell Terminals becomes partner in Odfjell Terminals (Korea).
- 2003-2007: The third Poland class: delivery of eight 40,000 dwt fully stainless steel chemical tankers.
- 2003: Odfjell Academy training centre established in Subic, The Philippines.
- 2004: Fleet Asia is established with ship management of some vessels out of Singapore
- 2005: Odfjell Terminals becomes partner in Exir Chemical Terminal (PJSCO) (Iran) and Odfjell Terminals (Jiangjin) (China).
- 2007: Odfjell Terminals becomes partner Oiltanking Odfjell Terminals (Oman).
- 2007: Gross revenues exceed USD 1 billion for the first time.
- 2008: Odfjell Philippines Inc. is established.
- 2010: Starting construction of a new terminal in Charleston (USA).
- 2011: Partnership with Lindsay Goldberg is establised for the terminal business.
- 2011: Signing the United Nations Global Compact.
- 2012: Odfjell Terminals starts construction of Odfjell Nangang Terminals (Tianjin) (China) and becomes partner in Noord Natie Odfjell Terminals (Antwerp).
- 2012: Re-entering into the gas segment by the establishment of Odfjell Gas Carriers.
- 2013: Delivery of the world’s largest chemical tanker, Bow Pioneer.
- 2013: Odfjell Terminals becomes partner in Quanzhou (Fujian) (China).
- 2014: Celebrating our 100-year anniversary.