More than 200 colleagues from around the world convened at the 6th Global Tank Storage Awards to honor industry peers for their excellent contribution to safety, innovation and sustainability in the tank storage sector. OTK came out on top with the gold award in the category of ‘Safety excellence’!
“CEO Jong-Soo Kim, the management team, and the rest of the OTK organization have all reason to be proud of their outstanding safety track record. OTK serves as a benchmark and resource in our safety work across the broader Odfjell Terminals portfolio.”
- Adrian Lenning, Managing Director Terminals.
The award winner was chosen by a combination of industry votes and feedback from the Terminal & Port Judging Panel. The judges were impressed with how the terminal has gone beyond conventional lagging indicators and has moved to embrace leading indicators. They also noted that Odfjell Terminals Korea had made a work permit required for all maintenance or operational activities that have no written process – a truly best-in-class practice.
The panel also highlighted the following factors:
- OTK has high environmental and safety standards as well as a strong safety culture.
- With no LTI* for more than seven years (between 2015 and 2022), no leaks outside of primary containment in the previous two years, and no fatalities since operations began in 2002, the terminal has demonstrated exceptional safety records.
- OTK has received safety awards from regional governmental organizations for 2019 and 2022.
- The terminal handles safety proactively through safety improvement activities (e.g. life saving rules in 2022) in addition to the effective safety management tools and processes (such as observation rounds, last minute risk assessment, training, lessons learned).
OTK was nominated alongside GPS Chemoil, Indian Oiltanking Limited, ITC Rubis Terminal Antwerp, Oiltanking MOGS, and Odfjell Terminals (Chile), which all represented formidable rivals for the gold medal for the safety achievement.