Sea transportation and storage of bulk liquid products involve many potential environmental hazards. Sound principles and well-implemented quality management systems are necessary to provide safe and efficient operations.
As one of the world’s leading service providers within the chemical tanker and terminal industry, Odfjell aims to be a front runner in minimizing our environmental impact. Energy efficiency programs and a range of initiatives are in process, and we are heading in the right direction.
Due to our acquisition of large, energy-efficient ships, and sale of older ships, we have achieved a substantial reduction in CO2 emissions per nautical mile and dead-weight tonne since 2009, when we started implementing this strategy.
Odfjell’s unique alert-based fleet performance system utilizes dashboard technology for constant shore-based monitoring of the fleet’s energy efficiency.
Modern self-polishing, anti-fouling paint combined with manual hull cleaning and propeller polishing ensure that the smoothness of the hull is well maintained between dry-dockings.
In 2015 we started a project to upgrade 19 of our vessels with a new propulsion system reducing emissions by up to 20%. The retrofitted vessels are among the most energy efficient chemical tankers in the world, achieving the highest score on the RightShip energy rating, A+.
- Improved propulsion efficiency
- Fresh water production by using reversed osmosis technology on vessels
- Weather routing/route optimization for vessels
- Intermittent hull cleaning and propeller polishing
- Ship energy efficiency management plan (SEEMP)
- Fleet performance system
- Environmental management system plan for vessels
- Waste minimization at terminals
- Emission reduction programs at terminals
- Improved ship recycling procedures
- ISO certifications